South Coast England
* Intro * Last fall we’ve been to the mindblowing southern coast of England: a 6-day roadtrip. Fall was the perfect time to go: it was not so touristy and we enjoyed the most beautiful light and colors in nature! We really loved the scenery (the cliffs, the country side), the cities and the cottages in the villages. The southern coast is just around the corner (we live in the Netherlands) but it felt like we were in a completely different world. From the flatlands to wuthering heights ;0)
Let me share with you our program, photo’s and hotspots!!! Day 1: With the DFDS ferry to Dover. From Dover to Folkestone. Day 2: From Folkestone to Rye, Beachy Head (near Eastbourne), the Seven Sisters (near Seaford) and Brighton. Day 3: From Brighton to Arundel, Lulworth Cove, Man O’War Beach, Durdle Door and Bridport. Day 4 and 5: Bridport, West Bay and Isle of Portland (daytrip). Day 6: Back to Dover (White Cliffs) and ferry.
* Day 1 * We stayed in a house on a cliff with breathtaking views over the sea, near Folkestone - Kent. Folkestone is really worth a visit. It has a cute port and you’ll discover cutting-edge art in the vivid Creative Quarter. The artist Richard Woods has built 6 tiny colorful houses. You’ll find these houses at strange spots in the city, for example on the beach and in the port (photo previous page).
* Day 2 * On our way to Brighton we stopped in Rye, which is a charming historic village and made a stunning walk at Beachy Head. Beachy Head is the highest chalk sea cliff in Britain. The peak allows a great view on the lighthouse, built in the sea below. The Seven Sisters are only a 10 minutes drive away. You can make epic pics of the Seven Sisters from Seaford Head, away from the crowds. Unfortunately we couldn’t go to that viewpoint due to a lack of time.
The Seven Sisters
Brighton (next pages) has stolen our hearts. You can really sense the free spirit of the town and her inhabitants, among them a lot of artists and musicians for example. Furthermore it is recognized as the ‘unofficial gay capital of the UK’. We stayed in a typical white Victorian house near Brighton Beach with the pier and boulevard. We had dinner at The Salt Room (thumbs up for their fish and shellfish). And of course we had to see the colorful beach huts in Hove.
Brighton - Hove
* Day 3 * On our third day we had breakfast in Arundel (castle) before we went to the Jurassic Coast. It was such a memorable afternoon. The sun was shining, the wind was strong and the waves were high. We were amazed by the views on the coast. Especially Durdle Door with the huge arch threw us back to prehistoric times (we expected dino’s to photobomb our pics) and videoclips of Billy Ocean and Cliff (what’s in a name ;0) Richards. Lulworth Cove and Man O’War Beach were great to watch and capture as well.
* Day 4 * Do you know the tv series Broadchurch? The series has been filmed in West Bay, a small harbour settlement south of Bridport. You really must watch Broadchurch before going to West Bay with The East Cliff (next photo) and the numerous fishing boats. Other villages surrounding West Bay, like Burton Bradstock, Abbotsbury with the only swannery in the world (600 swans) and Lyme Regis are also the cutest places.
* Day 5 * Our penultimate day in England we visited Weymouth and the Isle of Portland with the Portland Bill lighthouse and the Pulpit Rock. The rock is a popular tourist attraction on the island and is often photographed, with our without brave climbers on it ;0)
Portland Bill Lighthouse
* Day 6 * Our last day we drove back from Bridport to Dover. That’s a 4 hour drive on the M3. It can be quite busy on the road, so it can take longer. We ended our trip to England with a walk on the White Cliffs of Dover, looking over The Channel. With a very satisfied happy feeling we waved goodbye to England from our comfortable ferry. - Thank you DFDS Seaways for making our trip possible. -
White cliffs of Dover
Thanks for swiping!
More photo’s on Instagram.com/simone_wit #england #coast #jurassiccoast #roadtrip #greatbritain #english #cliff #durdledoor #beachyhead #lighthouse #broadchurch #westbay #dover #dorset #devon #kent #sevensisters #travel #travelguide #landscape #landscapephotography #worldheritage #ferry #rye #lulworth #cliffs #whitecliffsofdover #bridport #abbotsbury #weymouth #isle #portland #island #insulaphile #dfds