Erenstein

A little bit of spring in the air

Castle Erenstein was built in the 14th century and consists of two perpendicular medieval wings. It's first known resident, recorded in 1363 was Adam van Eerden. In 1707 the castle came into the hands of Hendricks Poyck, sheriff of Merkstein. He changed the entire appearance, building two round towers and a chapel in the centre of the southern facade. His son added a farmyard to the castle

The farmyard is enclosed by three sides of the square in front of the castle. In 1725, Peter Casper Poyck married the daughter of the well-known sculptor Gabriƫl de Grupello (1644-1730) who lived the last years of his live in Erenstein. Through his presence the castle became quite well known in the Netherlands and beyond

Share This Story

    Autoplay:

    get the app