8 favourite moments...
1. Winter King... Perhaps a cheesy title but I felt it appropriate. I spotted this tree purely by chance on my way to work. That morning the sun happened to be shining directly on it, illuminating it's bleached and dead limbs. It's well hidden and situated in a very inaccessible place and the land around has turned to bog and deep mud. I think I must have driven past this location for at least a year until these conditions conspired to create this shot. The tree combined with frost, fog and sunlight was mesmerising. It's sculptural form isolated and enhanced by the mist. I think this morning solidified my love for photography. I wanted to remain in that moment...
2. Ynyslas ... This was a rare moment when my younger sister and I got to spend time together on a family holiday in Mid Wales... We set out very early and headed for the extensive sand dunes of Ynyslas. This was the first shot I took when we arrived and my favourite. It encapsulates my sister to me perfectly.
3. 'The Essex Bridge' This was another waiting game. I discovered this bridge whilst cycling one morning in 'normal' conditions and I knew I had to return when it was foggy... I waited several months for the opportunity. I love it's structure and history and it makes a very striking vanishing point. The distinct shape is a result of the cutwaters. They provide refuge for people on foot to move aside for horse. They also cut through the steady flow of the Trent. The bridge is a scheduled ancient monument and was built in 1550.
4. Ascent of Thorpe cloud taken in Late November2014. I left my village at 6am and drove to the Peak District. Time is often tight for me being a father of two young children... Early starts are essential to catch the light but also to be home early enough to spend time with my family. Climbing this hill was an amazing moment as I literally climbed out of the foggy valley into warm sunlight. No others around just quiet solitude.
5. The Ridwares...Taken in November 2013, this was a rare day. Winter in the UK that year consisted mainly of storms and rain. I was lucky to be out on this morning and decided to venture down a path I'd never walked. I climbed over a stile and through a hedgerow... I was confronted by this. I loved how the sun illuminated the grass and silhouetted the tree. As I took the shot a flock of birds flew over... timing ;)
6. Alp Grüm Switzerland ... I had the amazing fortune of being invited to Switzerland by the Rhaetian Railway to 'Instagram' the various routes taken by the world heritage railway line. I met with 5 brilliant people from around Europe. This was our first morning up in the mountains and we all got up early to catch the sunrise. The views and beauty of this place literally made me speechless
7. Seren ... My daughter a force of nature. Loving and fiercely independent. I sometimes look at her and wonder where she has come from.
8.Ollie My little boy... Ollie is quiet and takes a very measured approach to life. This shot was taken in June 2013 and I feel I have captured his thoughtful nature.
E N D